APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP
BUILDING INSPECTORS ASSOCIATION WA
The Building Inspectors Association is a body formed to raise the building knowledge and experience of its members and uphold formal inspection standards in the Western Australian Building Inspection industry.
A Provisional Member is a Registered Builder who has limited inspection experience after being registered as a Builder with the Building Commission.
A Member of the Association is a Registered Builder with extensive inspection experience after qualifying as a Builder.
Membership of the Building Inspectors Association is not to be taken lightly as these standards are upheld and protected by all members.
All declarations in this application are to be made truthfully. Applicants should note that future conduct by a Member not in accordance with your application may result in loss of your membership.
You are advised to make yourself familiar with the Association’s Code of Ethics and By Laws as supplied at the Applicant Induction Course.
Applicants are advised that Membership of the Association is for individuals only.
Applications for Provisional Member and Member must have an unconditional registration as a Registered Builder with the Building Commission of Western Australia.
Other qualifications such as those for Architecture, Engineering or Building Surveying are not sufficient alone to become a Provisional Member or Member – you must be a Registered Builder first. Builder’s Registration is a requirement because a Registered Builder has already demonstrated to the Building Commission both building knowledge and building on-site construction experience.
Evidence of Experience
Applicants may apply as either Provisional Member or Member, based on the amount of inspection experience in the industry after qualifying as registered builder.
Applicants for full Member status will be required to demonstrate extensive experience in their application and by interview.
The Committee is aware that applicants will have many and varied types of inspection experience. In principle the following types of experience would be regarded as a minimum for membership.
- Twelve months full-time pre-purchase inspections on established properties, or
- Twelve months full-time Building Commission reports on disputes involving unsatisfactory workmanship or materials, or
- Twelve months full-time Practical Completion or Under-Construction inspections on building works in progress, or
- Or a combination of all of the above
Reports are expected to be written in accordance with Australian Standard 4349-2007 where applicable.
The applicant will be required to present a minimum of five sample reports meeting the above descriptions, prepared in the year of claimed experience.
The applicant will be required to present two professional references from current members, confirming their experience.
The applicant must provide a copy of their Professional Indemnity Insurance policy for the inspection works being undertaken while a Member.
All applicants are required to have attended an induction course run by the Association prior to making their application. Certificate of Attendance at an Induction Course will be required to be submitted with your application.
Should you have any queries regarding an application for membership please either refer to the website, or email the Association at email@example.com
Payment of 50% of the membership fee is to accompany your application (non-refundable). This will be deductible from membership fees if successful.
Membership fees are currently $400 for one year, $700 for two years.
BUILDING INSPECTORS ASSOCIATION of WA
MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Grade of Membership applied for: PROVISIONAL MEMBER / MEMBER
First Name _________________________ Surname ________________________
Builder’s Registration Number ______________
Postal Address ______________
Date of Birth ______________
Please attach the following documents
- Builder’s Registration Certificate
- Driver’s Licence copy with photo or passport copy with photo showing address on this application form
- CV – including all employment information
- Professional References from at least two current members
- Certificate of Currency and Policy documents for Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Samples of building inspections performed
- Certificate of attendance at BIA Induction course.
I, _____________________________, certify that
- I will abide by the Association’s Constitution, By-Laws and Code of Ethics;
- The information contained in this application and attached documents is true and correct.
Witnessed by _________________(Name)_______________________(Signature)
(Notary Public or JP).